Everyone has their own definition of “active”. At an annual physical your doctor may ask you how active you are. To some, walking to the mailbox once a day and running rapidly down the stairs to hop in an Uber is active. They may rate themselves a 3 on a scale from 1-5. Another person may have traded marathons for half marathons and so they rate themselves a 3 as well.
The same goes for social media. Every time I do a workshop on a social channel, one of my first questions is… “Raise of hands – how many of you consider yourselves active on LinkedIn.”
Years ago I had crickets. Now, I love to see that in a room of about 50 people, at least half will raise their hands. Then we get to the heart of the matter. I ask “How many of you have published an article or done a status update in the last 2 weeks.”
About 75% will drop their hands.
Activity is relative. And so is our understanding of “the 101s” – unless that 101 bar is set for us to tackle new tasks.
Let’s set some strong goals for a savvy 2017 shall we? When I work with clients who are on a journey from “I log in” to “Gaining a strong presence on LinkedIn”, their thorough task list may look something like this:
- Get and use professional, on-brand media for headshots and background images.
- Complete and fully optimize the content in your profile.
- Curate and create consistently.
- Post and share to establish value, recognition and trust.
- Build relationships. This is SOCIAL media people. Interact proactively and outwardly. Respond to & make comments. Join groups and start discussions with people you’ve never heard of before. Recommend the awesome people who have served you well in your business. Make meaningful introductions.
- Take a few moments each day to navigate the LinkedIn app and accept or request connections.
- Stop holding your value back from those you can help to serve and connect. Something that is a bit of basic knowledge to you could be a golden nugget to someone else!
Are you ready to reconsider what truly being active is? Have you really fully mastered LinkedIn 101? Whether you need a reset for 2017, haven’t updated your profile since 2010, suddenly logged in to find the new user interface lacking in features you used to love or simply need some encouragement on putting your words out there, you’re in luck.
“See” you there…