Does anyone else find these
as pointless as I do? Ok, maybe your ego makes you curious, but does anyone else care? Do you think your followers read this Tweet, click on all of the links thinking “wow, I can’t believe this jerk unfollowed @insertwhinytweeterhere,
I’m going to show them by unfollowing them too!”
1. Twitter has limits and faults. While I’ve used apps to whitelist people I never want to unfollow even if they never follow me back, I have found myself able to follow them again. (seriously, I would never intentionally unfollow @CarolJSRoth or @ChrisBrogan)
2. Most power users are using some sort of automation tool that unfollows people who do not reciprocate in ‘N’ days, or who appear to fit the profile of a spammer. Perhaps you fall into one of those categories.
3. There are an infinite number of third party software applications out there supporting Twitter growth. These may be developed by a highly VC funded software company with a QA team, or it may have been created, and solely supported, by your 12 year old neighbor with great coding skills. Often you cannot distinguish between the two. Again, faults exist, they are mostly free, deal with it.
4. Maybe the person is using Twitter for a particular business purpose, and you do not fit this profile. This isn’t a personal attack, this is strategic efficiency.
5. And finally, social media is about creating a community. When you post this sort of nonsense you look like the kid on the playground who kicks first and then cries and tattles when the kick is reciprocated. If you stop posting negative Tweets trying to make others look bad, maybe people would stop unfollowing you…